Re: ORACLE or SQL SERVER (MS) ?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:21:51 -0700

Bill shrek Thater wrote:

>Daniel Morgan wrote:
>

>>Your experience is purely anecdotal. Other people's experience may
>>well differ. But one thing is definite and that is that I can put
>>either SQL Server or Oracle on a single CPU Pentium machine and both
>>will run. But while SQL Server will only run on the Windows operating
>>system with Oracle an organization has the choice to avoid paying
>>hundreds of dollars for the operating system, they can choose Linux,
>>and also avoid all of the problems with the huge number of Windows
>>only virus, worm, and trojan attacks.
>>

>the ability exists, however at this point in time most companies do not
>have the talent available to manage other than Windows servers unless
>they are large enough to have Unix server farms. in that case they
>already would have Oracle installed on a unix platform. smaller
>companies would tend not to choose Oracle due to the lack of talent
>mentionsed as well as the adversity to adding a DBA to staff.
>
>--
>Bill "Shrek" Thater ORACLE DBA
>"I'm going to work my ticket if I can..." -- Gilwell song
> william.thater_at_carrier.utc.com
>A man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. He
>sits on a hot stove for a minute, it's longer than any hour. That is
>relativity. - Albert Einstein

You are correct but as with all things that too is changing. The next release of Oracle, 10g, will have
all of the ease of use of SQL Server and a price that is equal or lower from what I hear.

Add to that IBM's purchase of Informix and you can expect the RDBMS marketplace to get a lot
more interesting in the next few years.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu