Re: query's explain plan different in 8i and 9i?

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 14:38:11 GMT

> > Just goes to show that the parameters can have a difference on the CBO
> > between versions.
> and indeed that 'all parameters are the same' is an easy statement to make,
> but often not true even if the parameter file is unchanged.

Absolutely! Richard pointed out undocumented parameters can change between releases. But documented ones can change too. So when the parameter is not in the parameter file in both versions, one gets the default value. And there have been times when the default values of documented (and undocumented) parameters change between releases.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com