Re: partitioning

From: Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 13:09:36 GMT

"Stephan Bressler" <sbresslerx_no_spam_at_arcor.de> wrote in message news:bn5v2i$13p$1_at_news.mch.sbs.de...

> > Not wanting to nitpick ... however
> > The above statement is not entirely true. Two databases can share the same
> > tablespace provided it follows the transportable tablespaces rules and both
> > databases have access to the datafiles (i.e. for example if both databases are
> > in the same server) and if the tablespace which is shared is set to "read only".
> Hi,
>
> I just read the metaling article you mentioned. This talks about sharing
> a TBS between 2 instances on a single machine.
> What about a cluster? An oracle instance on each node with a readonly
> TBS on a shared disk using oracle cluster filesystem. In our case the
> share tbs would contain search data for oracle text.
>
> Would that be possible?
>
> BTW: Is the cluster file system free of charge? Or do you need to
> licence RAC?
>
> Regards
> Stephan

I would refrain from commenting on costs since my wife usually buys these clusters for me ;))

However, if you read the admin manual, it states that two databases can share a tablespace (readonly, using TTS) even if the datafiles are on a cluster. hell .. it could work even in a shared datafile put on NFS :) But I did not say that .. nor would advise anyone in their sane mind to try that.

YMMV. Anurag Received on Wed Oct 22 2003 - 08:09:36 CDT