Re: lock ?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 21 Oct 2003 17:30:28 -0700

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1066751024.698134_at_yasure>...
> Brian Peasland wrote:
>
> >You can query V$LOCK or V$LOCKED_OBJECT to see what is locked. The only
> >way to release those locks is to kill the session that is hold the
> >locks. You'll need the session_id (SID) and the serial# (from
> >V$SESSION). Then to kill the session, issue the following:
> >
> >ALTER SYSTEM KILL SESSION 'session_id,serial#';
> >
> >HTH,
> >Brian
> >
> >search wrote:
> >

> >>The guys from our database provider told us that there was a lock on one of
> >>our tables.
> >>It was fixed in 2 minutes.
> >>
> >>They won't provide us the information how you can see how a table is locked
> >>and how to unlock them ?
> >>Can some-one of you provide me more information.
> >>
> >>We use oracle 8.1.7 database.
> >>
> >>many thx
> >>
> >>Gerry
> >>

> And now that you have the answer fire the company that wouldn't help you
> and find someone that will.

Of course, this assumes that the lock they were talking about is the same lock that oracle uses. I've seen apps that do their own locking... for all the usual bad reasons, and the occasional good one.

To the OP, there is also a GUI oracle enterprise manager as well as other products that can show the v$lock, but often in a form easier to use.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
How many ORACLE_HOME's?