Re: Redo + Archive + Data Layout...

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 05:54:02 +1000

Paul Drake wrote:

> Howard,
>
> the other concept is, as one adds more controlfiles, one introduces
> more points of failure. Loss of a controlfile causes instance crash.
>
> This is similar to adding more drives to a RAID-F volume.
> The larger the number of drives, the smaller the MTBF for the volume.
>
> So it would fall under the concept of diminishing returns, whereby it
> can just be safely proclaimed:
>
> "Three is the number, the number shall be three."
> And all agreed, and it was good.
>
> maybe.
>
> Pd

Spot on... if you mean by 'adding more controlfiles' getting Oracle to multiplex them.

But having just two (or three) that Oracle itself is aware of, and then hardware mirroring that into 4 or 6 means you get the extra copies without increasing the risk, because you've (wisely) invested in two protection mechanisms.

I think that's what you were saying, anyway... in which case, we are in complete agreement.

Regards
HJR

See my brand new website, soon to be full of
new articles: www.dizwell.com.
Nothing much there yet, but give it time!!