Re: Hardware RAID vs. Software RAID

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 20 Oct 2003 19:47:19 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<3f944981$0$497$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...

> RAID5 takes your data and stripes it across multiple hard disks (so far so
> good) and then calculates some parity information which is writes onto
> another hard disk (not good -extra work, extra I/O). The parity information
> lets you compute the lost contents of any of the other hard disks, and thus
> protects your data, but the cost of producing it in the first place can be
> relatively high.

Only a very small correction: in RAID5, the parity is also spread across a number of drives. There is no dedicated parity drive, that's RAID3.
For a complete explanation, see:
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/markeditorial.html?sess=no&prodkey=quick_explanation_of_raid (watch for wraparound URL...)

Cheers
Nuno Souto
wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam Received on Mon Oct 20 2003 - 21:47:19 CDT