Re: Hardware RAID vs. Software RAID

From: Anna C. Dent <anacdent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:39:25 -0700

Chuck Lucas wrote:
> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
>

>>You are correct on all points.
>>
>>But what version you implement can make a big difference. I'd stay away
>>from RAID 5 and vendor RAID
>>implementations with numbers like 2 and 4.

> What's wrong with RAID 5?

With Raid-5 the redundancy information is stripped across all disks. For EVERY data block which is written to a RAID-5 volume the parity block must be recalcuated and also written to disk. For all intents and purposes RAID-5 doubles the number of write operations to disk. As the percentage of WRITE to READ operations increases available useful/application disk throughput decreases. Received on Mon Oct 20 2003 - 19:39:25 CDT