Re: Redo + Archive + Data Layout...

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 06:08:05 +1000

Domenic G. wrote:

> Sounds good ...
>
> A few pointers:
>
> Don't mirror the REDOs at the OS level - use single disks and at least
> two members per group, on different disks.

Can't agree. Mirroring and multiplexing are both good, and doing both is highly commendable.

> OS mirror your archive
> dest.

This advice is inconsistent with your earlier comments. Why OS Mirror archives? What protection does that give you against someone doing an "rm *"? None is the answer. Use Oracle's ability to archive to two or more archive destinations to protect your archives, not O/S mirroring.

>If you've got two extra disks to spare and your system is write
> heavy -- the redo switches should alternate back and forth between two
> drives so that archiver and redo don't hit the same drive at the same
> time.

Good advice.

> No need to mirror any tablespace by itself on just RAID 1 -- you can
> use RAID 5 or 1+0.

Also good advice. Treating SYSTEM on its own is a waste of good hard disk space.

> Put your controlfile copies on the same disks as your REDO. Recovery
> is a snap when you have the current control file.

True, but putting the controlfile on the same disks as redo logs is not optimal.

HJR