Re: RMAN question

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:14:08 GMT

> first time i read about rman i thought it would be best to have
> atleast one dedicated RMAN instance and not put anything in it,
> strictly from a management standpoint.

You can do exactly that. Remember to backup up the database that has your RMAN repository as well.

> how do you backup the other data that is in the instance that contains
> rman? how do you manage the backup of your rman instance? just with
> archive logs and hot backups?

I have RMAN backup database A. The catalog is in database B. I have another RMAN process backup database B. It's catalog is in database A. In other words, two seperate databases with the catalog of one in the other. I use RMAN the whole way. What happens if I lose database A? No problems. The catalog is in database B so I can recover just fine with RMAN. Note that these two databases are on separate servers. I wouldn't do this with two databases on the same server.

The only reason I did it this way was due to the fact that these two databases needed a RMAN B&R strategy and they both belong to the same project. I work as a contractor in a govt facility. Everything is project driven with each project having their own budget. There is very little sharing of resources between projects. Since these two databases, on separate servers, are owned by the same project, I use each as the recovery catalog for the other. For other project's databases, I might use a different configuration. The point I was trying to make was in response to your original question of a dedicated database for a RC. I don't use a dedicated database for a RC and I don't have any problems. That is not to say that you couldn't or shouldn't use a dedicated database for a RC. In fact, that is a good idea. So if you can use a dedicated database for a RC, then go for it!

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com