Newbie issue!

From: Yousaf <noway_at_hose.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 22:54:45 +0100

Dear all,

I am an Oracle newbie and I have the following issue:

I have installed Oracle 9i R2 on my Red Hat box. But when I run startup from SQL plus I get this:

SQL> startup
ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area 42741800 bytes

Fixed Size                   450600 bytes
Variable Size              41943040 bytes
Database Buffers             204800 bytes
Redo Buffers                 143360 bytes
ORA-00205: error in identifying controlfile, check alert log for more info

Someone told me that this error occurs when system can't find the control file. So I was told to run the CREATE CONTROLFILE which failed too, because there are no data files in the /dbs directory!

I did the following:

SQL> CREATE CONTROLFILE DATABASE "DEFAULT" NORESETLOGS NOARCHIVELOG   2 MAXLOGFILES 32
  3 MAXLOGMEMBERS 2
  4 MAXDATAFILES 32
  5 MAXINSTANCES 1
  7 LOGFILE
  8 GROUP 1 '/bakup/ora9/product/9.2/dbs/t_log1.f' SIZE 500K,   9 GROUP 1 '/bakup/ora9/product/9.2/dbs/t_log2.f' SIZE 500K  10 DATAFILE
 11 '/bakup/ora9/product/9.2/dbs/lkDEFAULT'; CREATE CONTROLFILE DATABASE "DEFAULT" NORESETLOGS NOARCHIVELOG *
ERROR at line 1:

ORA-01503: CREATE CONTROLFILE failed
ORA-01565: error in identifying file '/bakup/ora9/product/9.2/dbs/lkDEFAULT'
ORA-27047: unable to read the header block of file
Linux Error: 92: Protocol not available
Additional information: 1

SQL> Above I have tried lkDEFAULT, ofcourse that is not a datafile but in desperation I tried that. How come there is not a single datafile in /dbs directory? How do I create one? I have found out from the previous posts that without specifying the datafiles in the script I would get the datafile not found error. But in my case there are no datafiles to specify in the script at all!

Could anyone help me please?
Regards

--
Yousaf