Re: RMAN question

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 13:21:35 GMT

> This is more of an opinion type question. Im reading the Backup and
> Recovery book from Osborne. It states that its ok to have a recovery
> catalog tablespace in an instance that has other data in it.
>
> This strikes me as a bad idea. I would think that you would want your
> recovery catalog in a seperaet instance, then I would think you would
> 'ideally' want a standby database that feeds off your RMAN catalog.

Are you assuming that the Recovery Catalog is in the very database that you are backing up? If so, then that is indeed a bad idea. However, you can have a Recovery Catalog in a separate database that has other data, so long as the Recovery Catalog for that database is not in that database. For instance, I have two databases A and B that get backed up using RMAN. The RC for database A is in database B. And the RC for database B is in database A. Database A and B are used for other things as well. It should be noted that database A and database B are on separate physical servers.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com