Re: RMAN question

From: Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 14:20:23 +0200

"Ryan Gaffuri" <rgaffuri_at_cox.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1efdad5b.0310200404.1ecc0777_at_posting.google.com...
> I would think it would be ok to have these on existing servers(due to
> issues with oracle licensing fees) as long as you have them on
> seperate hard disks and you backup to tape.
Personally, If I were to use a catalog db I'd have a separate db for it, so that a crash or misuse of another application doesn't affect the db. I'd even put it on a separate hardware.

> How would you manage this if you are using NAS or SAN? All I see are
> logical mountpoints when I set up my databases?
No idea.

> how do you configure your RMAN databases?
I've got three small databases (ten to twelve GB each) and I don't use the catalog at all. I manage all the records in the controlfiles and do the backups as cronjobs.
All the backups go to a nfs mounted volume that gets backed up by the department backup system.
In case I get problems with this nfs setup I will back up to a local drive and put the data on the backed up volume using rdist. If you are just setting up that's what I'd recommend for a small system.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker Received on Mon Oct 20 2003 - 07:20:23 CDT