RMAN question

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 20 Oct 2003 05:04:12 -0700

This is more of an opinion type question. Im reading the Backup and Recovery book from Osborne. It states that its ok to have a recovery catalog tablespace in an instance that has other data in it.

This strikes me as a bad idea. I would think that you would want your recovery catalog in a seperaet instance, then I would think you would 'ideally' want a standby database that feeds off your RMAN catalog.

I would think it would be ok to have these on existing servers(due to issues with oracle licensing fees) as long as you have them on seperate hard disks and you backup to tape.

How would you manage this if you are using NAS or SAN? All I see are logical mountpoints when I set up my databases?

how do you configure your RMAN databases? Received on Mon Oct 20 2003 - 07:04:12 CDT