Re: Update On Jitendra Patel & TUSC

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 16:01:01 -0700

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> <snipped>
>
>There are two issues here, Daniel. One is Patel. His abuse has been of the
>basest personal sort, and plenty of people here claimed to know he worked
>for TUSC. TUSC should have disassociated themselves from him immediately
>that was drawn to their attention, and condemned such behaviour (carried
>out, according to Patel, because of the high esteem he holds TUSC... and
>therefore, in one sense, very much in their name). And that condemnation
>should have been short, sharp and to the point, and not dressed up in
>mission statements about TUSC's desire to share, care and make a
>difference. That merely confuses condemnation with advertising.

I agree the the verbiage could have been clearer. And I agree that Patel's behavior was not just obnoxious
but in the United States subject to civil liability for fraud which I think might have been pursued had it not seemingly turned out that Patel is most likely a schizoid manifestation of a disturbed woman.

If someone has actual evidence that there is a J.A. Patel that is in any way related to TUSC please
pass that information on to me. There are people in the legal department at Amazon that would
like to see it. If not ... then let it drop because it is nothing but rumor-mongering and we should move on.

>The second issue is what I and others think of TUSC. That's a completely
>separate issue, and should not be conflated into the Patel case...
>something TUSC's chairman didn't seem to get, and something it seems you
>have missed the point on, too.

I didn't miss it. I'm just encouraging ripping their hearts out based on technical matters without descending
into personal attacks such as those you were subjected to. One can point out errors without losing civility.

>I have said TUSC don't know their ASSM from their elbow; that Oracle doesn't
>need to write so many errors into its documents because they have TUSC to
>do that for them. Those are attempts to criticise their technical abilities
>with a dash of good humour... something they don't seem to get, and maybe
>merely because my sense of humour doesn't cross cultural borders. But you
>can't confuse the likes of those two statements with Patel-like claims that
>someone is gay, has been sacked, or is unemployed and unemployable.
>
>It's a sad day when the distinction between those two forms of criticism is
>lost.
>
>HJR

It has not been lost on me and that is why I want to put this behind us. And put the personal attacks behind
us as well. If anyone has any question about what I think of the quality of technical advice that has been published they need only read my frequent comments on the subject. But the fact that I think much of what has been
published is dead-on wrong does not men that I, or anyone else, should get into the type of name calling to which you were subjected. Keep in mind that at this point no one has supplied a shred of evidence actually linking Heather to TUSC. All we have is what appears to be the ravings of a very sick woman. Supply the information to me off-line if it exists. I have 60 students that would be glad to help track it down and put a stake in it.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu