Re: Dazed and confused

From: mar <mar_at_notexist.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:51:45 +0200

"Stephan Bressler" <sbresslerx_no_spam_at_arcor.de> wrote

> Hi,
> oracle accepts comparas of char columns to numeric values, for there is
> a conversion possible (at least sometimes).
> I assume you get the error with xflag=1 because all those records
> contain numeric values for xcode, while at least one of the records with
> xflag=0 contains a non-numeric value.

Thanks to all of you, guys.

Actually, what is puzzling is that with XFLAG=0 I get that error yet I can't see anything that would prevent corresponding XCODE (1234567890123) to be converted successfully into a number.

Therefore I have to ask: why can't Oracle convert string '1234567890123' into a valid number?

It's not only '1234567890123'. The same happens with any combination of 13 digits. Please notice the XCODE field is of type CHAR(15). That means that the last two chars are not taken. So it has got to do something with the last two char positions. Received on Mon Oct 13 2003 - 09:51:45 CDT