Re: Oracle 9i + Death of the DBA

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 23:07:37 -0700

Paul Drake wrote:

>coldrainandsnow_at_lycos.com (Jitendra Patel) wrote in message news:<7610580f.0310101458.ad50e63_at_posting.google.com>...
>

>>The Oracle Database 10g paper says that all is automated, automatic
>>memory management and automated storage management.
>>
>>Even an Indian can do a good job, for only $2 US dollars per hour.
>>
>>Great opportunities coming in Bangalore.
>>
>>Not suprising since most of it was developed there.
>>

>so what is the hurry to even upgrade to 9i at this point?
>how far away is 10g from being installed mainstream?
>
>nice troll.
>
>Pd

The point in upgrading to 9i is to be ready for 10g. No sane person, sorry Mark but its the truth,
is going to move a production system to 10g until they've had a chance to evaluate it on their platforms,
with their operating systems, and with their applications. So there will be a time during which 8i will not
be the platform of choice (even if desupport has been delayed) and 10g will still be bleeding edge
rather than cutting edge.

During that time those that have moved to 9i will be able to perfect their skills with the CBO (come 10g
you'll have no choice), with UNDO (come 10g you'll have no choice), with LMTs (come 10g you'll have
no choice) and a lot of the new capabilities that began showing up in 9i and will be even more efficient in
10g for allowing the database to better manage itself. These capabilities are not trivial and 9i is a great place to learn about them. And then there's iSQL*Plus to consider. To move an app from 8i directly to 10g may
be far more challenging than was the move from say 7.3.4 to 8i. I'd suggest jumping all over 9.2 as fast as
you can.

Which doesn't mean you shouldn't move DEV and TEST to 10g as fast as you can. But does mean you should
be careful to thoroughly test before moving it to PROD. From what I've seen it is impressive. But that doesn't
mean I'd bet my business on it the day the CD arrived.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu