Re: Sorry, Beginner Problems

From: <oraclehelp_at_dbdomain.cc>
Date: 10 Oct 2003 21:35:58 -0700

Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> wrote in message news:<3F8716F8.77FC5396_at_yahoo.net>...
> Marcus Biel wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just installed Oracle Server Edition,
> >
> > but I am unable to create Tables.
> > First of all I was even unable to enter the programm,
> > but then I realized that I had to enter "sys" as login,
> > and the pasword I entered during install.
> >
> > Oracle says something about the wrong Tablespace -
> > then I created a new Tablespace and tried to use that one,
> > but it still didn't work.
> >
> > I also tried to add a new user and give him all rights,
> > but there are so many different right you can add,
> > I added some, but I really have no idea what is needed and what is not.
> > Could someone be so nice and tell an oracle newbie the first simple
> > steps to be able to create a new table ?
> >
> > I mean I know how to use tables, select statements and so on,
> > but so far I never installed my own database.
> >
> > I could tell you all I did in detail, if necessary,
> > but I don't think it will be - I guess I did all wrong anyways,
> > so it would be best if there could be someone giving me a hint,
> > or a link where I can read how to start configuring my database.
> >
> > thanks in advance,
> >
> > marcus
>
> There are a number of things you did wrong, the first is not quite
> understanding what an Oracle environment is 'all about'. You've managed
> to cascade a number of mistakes on that one.
>
> Probably the best things you could do now are:
>
> 1) Go to http://otn.oracle.com and look for 'Sample Code' and then
> 'Oracle By Example'. There are step by step screen shots to get you
> started.
>
> 2) Go to http://docs.oracle.com and look for the Database Administration
> Guide for your version. While it's a bit of a slog, if you can make it
> through the first few chapters you will have an enormous jump over 80%
> of the people who ask that same quesiton here.
>
> 3) Consider going to http://education.oracle.com and sign up for Online
> Library and possibly some courses. At the least, please take the free
> courses from the Online Library.

You can save yourself a lot of headaches by taking advantage of the free Getting Started tutorials for Oracle8i and Oracle9i located at www.animatedlearning.com. Just click on Free Training link at the top of the page. The free tutorials teach you how to install Oracle8i/Oracle9i, prepare it for use (on either Windows/Linux/Unix), and then give you a gentle, broad introduction to most areas of functionality with Oracle.

Hope this helps!
oraclehelp_at_dbdomain.cc Received on Fri Oct 10 2003 - 23:35:58 CDT