Re: Sorry, Beginner Problems

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 17:41:16 -0700

Marcus Biel wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I just installed Oracle Server Edition,
>
>but I am unable to create Tables.
>First of all I was even unable to enter the programm,
>but then I realized that I had to enter "sys" as login,
>and the pasword I entered during install.
>
>Oracle says something about the wrong Tablespace -
>then I created a new Tablespace and tried to use that one,
>but it still didn't work.
>
>I also tried to add a new user and give him all rights,
>but there are so many different right you can add,
>I added some, but I really have no idea what is needed and what is not.
>Could someone be so nice and tell an oracle newbie the first simple
>steps to be able to create a new table ?
>
>I mean I know how to use tables, select statements and so on,
>but so far I never installed my own database.
>
>I could tell you all I did in detail, if necessary,
>but I don't think it will be - I guess I did all wrong anyways,
>so it would be best if there could be someone giving me a hint,
>or a link where I can read how to start configuring my database.
>
>thanks in advance,
>
>marcus

Take Hans' advice as seriously as a heart attack. That said here are some specifics.

  1. Never ever under any conditions use the SYS or SYSTEM accounts to do any work other than database maintenance.
  2. Log on as SYSTEM and create a user account making sure that you set a quota on a tablespace other than SYSTEM and that the quota for SYSTEM is set to 0 (zero) to keep you from accidentally using it.

Reread Hans' advice and take it. You are sliding down a very slippery slope of your own making. You
can not treat Oracle this casually and expect to make anything other than a huge mess.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu