Re: Oracle's Myth: keep tables and indexes in separate tablespaces

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 10:13:34 +1000

Mark Townsend wrote:

> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>> Jack wrote:
>>

>>>Look:
>>>http://otn.oracle.com/deploy/performance/pdf/opt_storage_conf.pdf
>>>
>>>You might have a look at Juan Loaiza's article "Optimal Storage
>>>Configuration Made Easy" http://technet.oracle.com/deploy/performance/
>>>for a
>>>different approach to the problem. Since this is on technet, it appears
>>>to be Oracle's latest recommendation.
>
>> Sorry Jack: you're wrong on this, though I suppose it depends on what you
>> mean by 'recommendation'.
>
> I don't believe that Jack is wrong. In fact, if the courses ARE teaching
> it differently, then I think the course needs to be urgently updated -
> can anybody send me a reference number, and I'll follow up on it.

OK, Mark. I found one reference (the manual was discovered after some housework!). DBA Fundamentals I (course code: D11321GC20). Chapter 12, page 13.

Index Guidelines:

  1. Balance query and DML needs
  2. Place in seaparate tablespace

...and so on

The text for that page reads:

"Place indexes in a separate tablespace, not in a tablespace that has undo segments, temporary segments or tables."

They don't (as Richard pointed out elsewhere) go on to elaborate as to *why* they should be so separated, or what the basis of this recommendation is.

Regards
HJR

See my brand new website, soon to be full of
new articles: www.dizwell.com.
Nothing much there yet, but give it time!!