Re: 8i and 9i on same box

From: -={Giorgio}=- <leva.md3496_at_mclink.it>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 23:36:19 +0200

Tom wrote:

>>Just keep in mind the environment variables set in the various .profiles
>>can only point to a single location.
>>Take care to keep them straight.

> thanks for the input all - I have installed both and they run fine - I have managed to create instances on both versions.
>
> My only query revolves around my profiles as Daniel points out.
>
> At the moment i have 2 seperate .profiles and actually just symlink between the two so i can decide which one to use when i log in.
> Is there a better way to do it than this? Seems a bit messy to me but so far the only way i can get it to work correctly.

I am quite positive you should be able to work it out with the oraenv script. Just launch int automatically from .profile and it should prompt you for the instance you want to connect to...
moreover it should automatically set the environment by reading the oracle_home from the oratab file (provided you keep it updated)

HTH /G Received on Fri Oct 10 2003 - 16:36:19 CDT