Re: Oracle 9i + Death of the DBA

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 18:25:39 GMT

Ed wrote:

> I was wondering what people think about 9i's new features that
> supposedly significantly decrease or at least alter the duties of the
> DBA.
>
> Is anyone re-thinking their future career path because of it?
>
> Will there be such a great need for DBAs in the future?
>
> Any sensible comments appreciated.
>
> Ed.

Yes, as long as the 'DBA' doesn't define a very narrow set of activities. If, however, the DBA's duties are closely defined in a union contract, likely that position will be defunct in about 2 minutes.

There are enough competent DBAs on the streets right now that I actively discourage anyone trying to go into the field. It's roughly the same cyclic function as 'engineering' - one year the [competent] people are scarce, the schools spew forth [semi-]competents and the market is apparently flodded.

BTW - the Database Administrator's Guide (which IMO should be required re-reading for all Oracle DBAs & pretend-DBAs every 6 months) has a wonderful section defining DBA.

--
/Hans
[mailto:`echo $from" | sed "s/yahoo/telusplanet/g"`]