Re: NewBie type Oracle question

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:49:42 -0700

Unbreakable wrote:

>I am getting my OCP and understand that the cert is just a beginning
>and I do need a working expereience.
>
>Therefore, I wish to develop a simple project for skill demostration
>purpose.
>
>I would like to know the set of tools as the experience people use in
>the market.
>
>My freind, who work as Junior DBA, is using the following tools.
>
>A. Oracle 9i (Of course)
>B. Tord (Sql statement)
>C. Eclipse (Java Code)
>D. Microsoft Visio (Develop a schema)
>

>1. Any more addtional tools or something that I am missing here?
>2. any sample code/project that can be recommend? I find out the pet
>store in java.sun.com is too complicated for beginner.
>
>Any better site?

I'd suggest making the only tool for direct database access SQL*Plus. We all use tools. But they are not a
good way to learn syntax. Stay away from TOAD, SQL Navigator, etc. for at least a year.

I'd suggest Designer and ERwin are far superior to Visio. In fact Visio is near worthless unless your
understanding of Oracle is going to start and stop with columns and rows.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu