Re: Oracle 9i + Death of the DBA

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:40:55 -0700

Ed wrote:

>I was wondering what people think about 9i's new features that
>supposedly significantly decrease or at least alter the duties of the
>DBA.
>
>Is anyone re-thinking their future career path because of it?
>
>Will there be such a great need for DBAs in the future?
>
>Any sensible comments appreciated.
>
>Ed.

If by DBA you mean the guy that installs, configures, does backup and restore, and says no every time
someone asks for select privilege on v_$session: Absolutely. In fact I'll supply the nails for the coffin.

If by DBA you mean the job of managing the database and all of its associated services and applications
such as app server, web services, XML, SOAP, Java, tuning, debugging, and making decisions on how
to optimize architecture. No.

The DBA that learned the business with v6 or 7 and hasn't learned much since will be as employable in
10 years as someone whose skill is RGB or dBASE or Fox or Ingress. There will be some jobs holding
legacy systems together. But there will frequent and poignant reminders that Darwin was correct.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu