Re: Oracle 9i New Features or Data Guard Course

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 00:50:20 +1000

Richard Foote wrote:

> "Martyn" <martynbaker_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> Hi,
>> I am wanting feedback from anyone that has attended one or both of
>> these courses as to which they thought I would benefit from most. At
>> the moment I am leaning towards New Features course but am open to
>> persuasion.
>> I work for an organisation that has a very limited training budget and
>> am trying to decide which course I should attend.
>>
>> We have many applications from many vendors (we do not do any in-house
>> development at all), so we are vendor driven wrt Oracle version and
>> all are currently at 8.x. One production application is to be migrated
>> from 8.1.7.0 to 9.2.0.1 in Feb 2004 and this date is set in stone.
>> Part of the SLA for this app. requires that we maintain a standby
>> database (for legal purposes) and I am aware that the standby
>> mechanism on 9i is vastly different to 8i. Currently we have in-house
>> scripts to maintain the standby database.
>>
>> Any feedback would be grateful as unfortunately I can only attend one
>> course.
>>

> Hi Martyn,
>
> IMHO, attend the New features course, no doubt. It covers most of the main
> goodies associated with 9i so you should leave with a pretty good
> understanding of what 9i has to offer. It also includes a chapter on
> DataGuard that although doesn't go into the same detail as the DataGuard
> course does give you enough to go on.
>
> If I were still teaching and considering the course is really kinda 4 day
> course stretched into 5, I would pickup the fact you have a real interest
> in DG and go into in more detail to fill in the time. It's "requests" such
> as yours that makes it a 5 day course so ask your instructor

You must have been teaching a different course than me, then! I'm lucky if I finish before 5.15pm on Friday, and even that's only possible if I skim the SQL chapter.

Cheapskate!!

Regards
HJR

>(tell them

> Richard says you can do it ;) and get the best of both worlds.
>
> We use DG at my current site in a big way and it's not *that* complicated
> a feature.
>
> My thoughts
>
> Richard
See my brand new website, soon to be full of
new articles: www.dizwell.com.
Nothing much there yet, but give it time!!