Re: Single-disk database and I/O load balancing?

From: Andy <andy.spaven_at_eps-hq.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:41:51 +0100

Load balancing on one - sound theoretically perfectly balanced - it's perfectly balanced all on one disk :-))

Seriously using one disk for an oracle database is asking for trouble in most (all?) production environments. You've no safety margin - if that disk fails it's game over (at least whilst you find another disk and reinstall from a backup).

Assuming disk wait events are the key events you're witnessing and the code is reasonably tuned and you're customers are complaining about performance then you need to explain that their system underperforms because they haven't got sufficient disk spindles AND that they are at risk of loosing data (assuming your one disk is not mirrored). It's not about total space but number of disk spindles and the amount of "work" taking place. I can imagine some of the regular contributors to this forum will have more to say when they recover from either the shock or the laughter.

Typically I see a db of 100-400GB go on a disk subsystem with 8-16 disks in some configuration of RAID-5 & RAID-10 ( Usually with 18GB or 36GB disks ).

If the customer is too "cost concious" to buy more a sufficient disk system then they probably shouldn't be using Oracle. If they don't need the resilience of a main stream database they probably shouldn't waste money buying it. If they do need it they need more disks.

Andy "Waiting for the all the other opinions :-O"