Help: Oracle9i OLAP - DB crash

From: Joshua Kramer <jckramer75_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 10 Oct 2003 06:32:42 -0700

I have been having problems with Oracle9i OLAP server and I thought I'd see if anyone has any insight into it.

Here's the situation. I downloaded Oracle 9i from "http://otn.oracle.com/software/index.html" onto my Windows XP desktop. I made a JDBC Connection to Oracle 9i and attempt to process the sample metadata of the "SH" schema (which comes with Oracle) using a program very similar to the one found at:

http://www.engin.umich.edu/caen/wls/software/oracle/olap.901/a88756/discove8.htm#1004288

I am able to make the initial connection and access the MdmMetadataProvider, but when I make the "mp.getRootSchema()" call I see the following error:

java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: Connection reset by peer: JVM_recv in socket input stream read
        at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:134)
        at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:179)
        at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:333)
        at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.executeNonQuery(OracleStatement.java:2061)
        at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.doExecuteOther(OracleStatement.java:1940)
        at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.doExecuteWithTimeout(OracleStatement.java:2709)
        at oracle.jdbc.driver.OraclePreparedStatement.executeUpdate(OraclePreparedStatement.java:589)
        at oracle.jdbc.driver.OraclePreparedStatement.execute(OraclePreparedStatement.java:656)
        at oracle.express.idl.ExpressMdmModule.MetadataProviderInterfaceStub.getMetadataPropertyBags(MetadataProviderInterfaceStub.java:121)
        at oracle.express.mdm.MetadataPropertyBagFetcher.fetchMetadataPropertyBags(MetadataPropertyBagFetcher.java:57)
        at oracle.express.mdm.MdmMetadataProvider.getMetadataObject(MdmMetadataProvider.java:324)
        at oracle.express.mdm.MdmMetadataProvider.getRootSchema(MdmMetadataProvider.java:395)
        at TestOracle.main(TestOracle.java:45)

The error seems to result from the fact that the database itself has crashed, and needs to be restarted.

I could find nothing in the database's "alert log" to indicate the root cause of this problem, nor have I have found anything online that specifically deals with it. If anyone has any insight into this I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you very much.

Joshua Received on Fri Oct 10 2003 - 08:32:42 CDT