Re: Outsourcing developer to India and China - As an Oracle developer I am miffed

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 9 Oct 2003 16:27:04 -0700

"Ironside" <old_ironside_at_SPAMREALLYSUXhotmail.com.REMOVECAPSTOREPLY> wrote in message news:<KG4hb.8882$xe6.3812_at_newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>...
> or buy stock in the companies that are doing the outsourcing. Chances are
> that those huge profits are coming back to US companies.

Outsourcing is a very nasty business. Just one bit of slightly slimier marketing and there goes your income stream to China. Economically speaking it is unbalanced - it costs more to outsource than not, outsourcing itself has marketing and management costs. The non-economic issues (ie, slimier marketing, perception of control, management trends-of-the-moment, nepotism, aggressive growth, monopoly games) are often the determinants.

In the last couple of months alone, two companies I've worked for in the past have been seriously affected by this. One oriental aggressor is buying out my stock in one at something above recent market rates (a fraction of what it was valued at when issued to me years ago). The other just got wiped by a competitor, at least most of the workers were kept.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus
And of course, the US sneezes, and Bangalore gets SARS: