Re: Oracle's Myth: keep tables and indexes in separate tablespaces

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:52:37 +1000

A good catch, Joel. Trouble is....

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96533/iodesign.htm#23329
> :

> One popular approach to manual I/O distribution suggests

....this is what is commonly called being "economical with the actualite"! Why do they state "a popular approach suggests", as though it has nothing to do with them? When it is in fact their own bloomin' courseware that suggests it in the first place!!

But seriously: there is indeed better and better stuff coming out of Oracle on these sorts of things these days. Their courseware on the buffer cache hit ratio has improved out of all recognition since the dark days of 'make it 95% or else'. I think it might have something to do with James Morle's involvement, but that's just a guess.

It is therefore excellent seeing this quote you found in black and white... hopefully, it will mean the same old question doesn't keep getting re-hashed in the future.

Now, I can't wait for this nugget actually to filter into their classrooms (without my having to abandon the courseware to get it there).

Regards
HJR