9i, pfiles and spfiles

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_nospam.yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 22:37:04 GMT

9ir2 on SuSE 7.3

after creating a database and importing data from an 8.1.7 instance succesfully, I was playing with some init params, namely adding:

cursor_sharing=force
session_cached_cursors=200
timed_statistics=true

To try and get omlet for oracle working. Seeing that there was no init.ora in the dbs directory I added them directly in to the spfile<sid>.ora, (ya I know now NOT to) shut down the database and started it up, and up it went ok with nary an error.

After reading a bit more on spfiles, (this is when I realized that one DOESNT add to the spfile) I shut the db down, edited the standard init.ora, made sure that compatible= was commented out and did a startup pointing at the new init.ora, immediatly getting an:

ORA-00402: database changes by release 9.2.0.0.0 cannot be used by release 8.1.0.0.0
ORA-00405: compatibility type "Locally Managed SYSTEM tablespace"

So thats weird, now the document I'm reading about spfiles says that you cant startup the db pointing to an spfile like you can an init file, but I read this *after* I have actually done it and it works... so, now that its up and running again, create an init file witf "create pfile from spfile='myspfile" and create the file, shut down the db again and this time start it up pointing at the new init file, which now gives me the :

Database mounted.
ORA-00402: database changes by release 9.2.0.0.0 cannot be used by release 8.1.0.0.0
ORA-00405: compatibility type "Locally Managed SYSTEM tablespace"

So I edit the init file to make compatible=9.0.2.0, issue startup and same thing!, point it at the spfile again just for the hell of it and away it goes!

what am I missing here?

TIA Received on Thu Oct 09 2003 - 17:37:04 CDT