Re: Oracle's Myth: keep tables and indexes in separate tablespaces

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 09:31:21 -0700

Noons wrote:

>"Jitendra Patel" <coldrainandsnow_at_lycos.com> wrote in message news:7610580f.0310090351.1e152843_at_posting.google.com...
>

>>Imaging a system on a single disk, with the index on the innermost
>>cylinder and the data on the outermost cylinder.
>>
>>During a index range scan, the disk will vibrate like unbalanced
>>washing machine.
>>

>REALLY? I'd say it is more than likely NOT in an index range
>scan that you'll get the "washing machine effect"...
>

>>A single disk cannot write to two placed at once.
>>

>Brilliant deduction. With a tremendously risky extrapolation,
>I'd hazard a wild guess that it can't read from two places
>at once either...
>
>Yet, I thought the OP (and you) were talking about
>"reading" index values and table values?
>Since when is an index range scan a "write to two
>placed at once"?
>

>>Yeesh.
>>

>Indeed...

Even back in the 1970s in my mainframe days I had disks that could simultaneously write in two places at once.

Of course they had multiple heads and multiple platters unlike the current disk. ;-)

Yes folks that is sarcasm dripping off your monitor: Heavy sarcasm. I'm afraid Jitendra is so busy defening a
religion, TUSC, he has failed to take the time required to read what is being written.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu