Re: Oracle's Myth: keep tables and indexes in separate tablespaces

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 00:35:35 +1000

Richard Foote wrote:

> Hi Jitendra,
>
> As I posted only a few days ago, for some bizarre reason people confuse
> "tables and indexes don't need to be separated for performance reasons"
> with "it's OK to place all indexes and tables on one disk".
>
> They hardly mean the same thing ?????
>
> If you have a database with (say) 4 disks for your tables and (say) 4
> disks for your indexes thinking that you're somehow improving performance
> by separating them, I'll bet you a cappuccino that by striping both your
> tables and indexes together across all 8 disks, performance will not
> suddenly plummet as a result.
>
> All things being equal, it might actual *improve* performance.
>
> BTW, did Howard accidentally scratch your car in some carpark ....
>
> Cheers
>
> Richard

Funny thing is, Richard, Jitendra was replying to a post that wasn't even mine! But I think he has a bee in his bonnet about the wonderful work that Don and his mates at TUSC do, so he throws the occasional tantrum just to let everyone know where his loyalties lie.

Regards
HJR

See my brand new website, soon to be full of
new articles: www.dizwell.com.
Nothing much there yet, but give it time!!