Oracle sessions/proccesses

From: Richard Stanton <richardpstanton_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 9 Oct 2003 05:42:02 -0700

Hello

I am running Oracle 8.05 on nt.

Can anyone explain to me the relationship between Oracle sessions and processes?

Is it 1 connection to the database = 1 process? If so, then why in Instance
Manager do the two not tally up? For example, there are currently 34 sessions listed - 26 from the application, 7 background and the session I am using. However, when I switch to the Resource limit tab it lists 35 sessions and 61 processes. So what are these extra processes?

We sometimes hit the max number of processes. What are the implications to the database performance if I increase the limit, currently set to 100?

Hope that all makes sense

thanks

Richard Received on Thu Oct 09 2003 - 07:42:02 CDT