Oracle's Myth: keep tables and indexes in separate tablespaces

From: Snid <snid_at_snider.sno>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 15:14:46 +1000

It's interesting to see where the idea that it is good to keep tables and indexes in separate tablespaces comes from. I know that this topic has been done to death, but I've just been reading through Oracles own teaching guide titled:

Enterprise DBA Part 1A: Architecture and Administration Volumn 1 . Student Guide
which was printed in August 1999

I see that in Lesson 11, Managing Tables, it gives the first guideline for creating tables as,

"Place tables in a separate tablespace - not in the tablespace that has rollback segments, temporary segments, and indexes."

So I guess I can see why lots of people think that it's best to separate indexes from tables. It doesn't mention that you should only separate them for administration purposes mainly. Received on Thu Oct 09 2003 - 00:14:46 CDT