ORA-27101 hell!!!

From: Chris Clarke <c.clarke_at_talis.com>
Date: 8 Oct 2003 08:05:17 -0700

Hi all,

I've installed Oracle 8.1.7 EE on RedHat 7.2 (as per install guide, v2.1 gcc libs etc.)

I managed to create an instance "O817DB" using dbassist.

I started the instance as follows:

$ sqlplus internal

SQL> startup

The startup procedures gave no errors.

I then tried to get into the DB as follows:

$ sqlplus system/manager

No problems there either. I could run queries, create users, etc.

Now I tried to start the TNS listener:

$ lsnrctl start

Doing:

$ lsnrctl status

...revealed that I had 1 service handler for O817DB as expected. So I tried to connect to the machine again using:

$ sqlplus system/manager_at_O817DB

Bang! Produced this error:

ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist Linux Error: 2: No such file or directory

I found some information in the Net8 installation guide about adding the listener to the /etc/services file, which I did as follows:

LISTENER 1521/tcp # Net*8

Rebooted, restarted, same again. The $ORACLE_SID and $ORACLE_HOME are correct. The database instance is definately alive as I managed to log on locally - I even managed to get "emca" (Enterprise Manager Configuration Assistant) to create a repository on the database (using localhost:1521:O817DB as a connection string).

Anyone got any ideas before I throw the machine out of the window and book myself into the loony bin???

Thanks,

Chris Received on Wed Oct 08 2003 - 10:05:17 CDT