Amused... to death

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 8 Oct 2003 03:41:34 -0700

null_pointer_at_rediffmail.com

> People will crib, people will rant but you cant stop change, because
> if a company needs to remain competitive it needs to find places where
> it can get the best quality for the best price.

That IMO is not the real issue. What is the issue is the explotation of 3rd world countries and workers. Paying them a pittance as due to desperation, they will work for a pittance. (and I have seen this up close)

And it is not only in the software industry. I know an oil tanker captain describing the exact same problem - which is a tad worse though as the people being employed at low rates are often not up to scratch when it comes to doing the job.

Anyway. Explotation due to desperation and poverty is unethical. It is morally corrupt. An excellent example of what mankind really is like. And the road it is trodding...

"We watched the tragedy unfold
We did as we were told
We bought and sold
It was the greatest show on earth
But then it was over
We ohhed and aahed
We drove our racing cars
We ate our last few jars of caviar
And somewhere out there in the stars
A keen-eyed look-out
Spied a flickering light
Our last hurrah
Our last hurrah

And when they found our shadows
Grouped 'round the TV sets
They ran down every lead
They repeated every test
They checked out all the data on their lists And then, the alien anthropologists
Admitted they were still perplexed
But on eliminating every other reason
For our sad demise
They logged the only explanation left
This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry, no feelings left
This species has amused itself to death" [Roger Waters: Amused to Death]

--
Billy