TNS:no listener Oracle 8 client to Oracle 7 database

From: David Andre3s <andrewsda_at_ealing.gov.uk>
Date: 8 Oct 2003 01:50:20 -0700

Hi,

I am trying to connect to an Oracle 7 datbase from an Oracle 8 client. I have read alot of posts on the web and tried to follow the advise but with no success.
I have tried configuring the listener but again with no success. The error I always get is ORA-12541: TNS:no listener.

Listener.ora is attached Below

LISTENER =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = eal7136)(PORT = 1521))     (PROTOCOL_STACK =
(PRESENTATION = GIOP)
(SESSION = RAW)

    )
  )

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
(GLOBAL_DBNAME = searchenet)
(ORACLE_HOME = C:\oracle\ora81)
(SID_NAME = mvmc)

    )
  )

Q. Should the HOST refer to the server or my own client machine?

Where I think the problem may be is that I don't have a listener service on my client machine. If I run the command "lsnrctl status" or "lsnrctl80 status" then I simply get the message that the command is not recognised. Nowhere on my machine (client) do I have a lsnrctl executable. Should I?
Nor are there are Oracle listening services under the NT services.

When I did the install on my client machine I did a full client adminstrator install.

TIA. David Received on Wed Oct 08 2003 - 03:50:20 CDT