Re: Understanding partitioning by hash

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 08:54:26 +1000

Rick Denoire wrote:

> I would like to partition a big table (Oracle 8.1.7) using a key which
> is not suitable for range partitioning. If I use hash partitioning
> instead, will still partition pruning take place? Will all records
> having the same key value go to the same partition? (If not, I am
> afraid that partition pruning won't occur when the key is used in the
> where clause, meaning that the corresponding records would be spread
> accross several partitions).
>
> Thanks a lot
> Rick Denoire

Yes, rows with identical partitioning keys will end up in the same partition, because the hash algorithm is consistent. Therefore, yes, you do indeed get partition pruning with hash partitioning.

Regards
HJR

See my brand new website, soon to be full of
new articles: www.dizwell.com.
Nothing much there yet, but give it time!!