Understanding partitioning by hash

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 00:05:49 +0200

I would like to partition a big table (Oracle 8.1.7) using a key which is not suitable for range partitioning. If I use hash partitioning instead, will still partition pruning take place? Will all records having the same key value go to the same partition? (If not, I am afraid that partition pruning won't occur when the key is used in the where clause, meaning that the corresponding records would be spread accross several partitions).

Thanks a lot
Rick Denoire Received on Tue Oct 07 2003 - 17:05:49 CDT