Re: Newbie Question: Adding A Database

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 14:26:54 -0700

the clansman wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Using Oracle 8.1.6, how do I add a database? Using the DBA Studio, I
>selected "Add Database To Tree..." from the menu and I filled in the
>information
>
>Hostname: Localhost (it's on the same box)
>Port: 1525 (I already have another one on 1521)
>SID: VINTAGE
>NET Service Name: VINTAGE
>
>My problem is when I try to connect to it. What should I enter as the
>Username and Password since I never been asked for it? I tried the usual
>SYSTEM/MANAGER Stuff (which works for my other database) but no success. Is
>there's another step to perform prior creating a database?
>
>Thanks.

The first thing you should do is recognize that Oracle is not SQL Server (or Sybase or Informix) and that
you are misusing terminology.

What you think of as a database is a user/schema in Oracle. Go to http://tahiti.oracle.com and learn the Oracle definitions of the words you are using. Star with these:

database
instance
schema

Also recognize that Oracle's architecture is completely different from that of all other major commercial RDBMS products and you should not be doing anything until you can competently explain the concepts behind multiversioning, locking, and transaction processing.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu