Re: 03113 EOF on communication channel

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 18:37:18 +0200

On 7 Oct 2003 08:08:24 -0700, ghazan_at_ghazan.haider.name (Ghazan Haider) wrote:

>Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl> wrote in message
>> Q1 The listener is a broker only. Once a connection has been
>> established the listener doesn't participate in the connection
>> anymore. That said ora-3113's are NOT being caused by listener
>> problems.
>> They are primarily caused by
>> a) incorrect settings in /etc/system
>> b) the size of the SGA being bigger than shared memory /etc/system
>> parameters allow
>> The function of the listener can be checked by typing
>> lsnrctl status
>>
>> Q2 Most likely you didn't pay attention to shared memory and semaphore
>> settings in /etc/system
>>
>> Q3 You don't need the listener at all to create a database. Simply
>> save the scripts dbca generate (it will tell you where they end up and
>> how they are named) and run them from the command prompt.
>> The only thing you really need is ORACLE_SID being set, but that is
>> arranged by the scripts.
>
>Thanks for the reply Sybrand,
>
>I used the same settings in /etc/system as was suggested for shared
>memory and semaphores in the Oracle8 install PDF (and rebooted). To
>create a database, I've tried all the default size, log, processes etc
>settings, and highly conservative ones.. eg. 16MB rather than 512MB
>for the system table etc.
>
>I'll try doubling all the semaphore and shared memory settings in
>/etc/system and check it again. I think Oracle8 was meant for Solaris7
>or 8, maybe there are different commands to be used for the
>/etc/system settings. I did not get any error messages in dmesg
>though.

At this point you would need to calculate the sum of db_block_buffers * db_block_size
shared_pool_size
large_pool_size
java_pool_size
constituting roughly the SGA
The default SGA is some 384 Mb.

16m for the SYSTEM tablespace looks like too small, and doesn't have any impact on your problem.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA