Re: 03113 EOF on communication channel

From: Ghazan Haider <ghazan_at_ghazan.haider.name>
Date: 7 Oct 2003 08:08:24 -0700

Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl> wrote in message
> Q1 The listener is a broker only. Once a connection has been
> established the listener doesn't participate in the connection
> anymore. That said ora-3113's are NOT being caused by listener
> problems.
> They are primarily caused by
> a) incorrect settings in /etc/system
> b) the size of the SGA being bigger than shared memory /etc/system
> parameters allow
> The function of the listener can be checked by typing
> lsnrctl status
>
> Q2 Most likely you didn't pay attention to shared memory and semaphore
> settings in /etc/system
>
> Q3 You don't need the listener at all to create a database. Simply
> save the scripts dbca generate (it will tell you where they end up and
> how they are named) and run them from the command prompt.
> The only thing you really need is ORACLE_SID being set, but that is
> arranged by the scripts.

Thanks for the reply Sybrand,

I used the same settings in /etc/system as was suggested for shared memory and semaphores in the Oracle8 install PDF (and rebooted). To create a database, I've tried all the default size, log, processes etc settings, and highly conservative ones.. eg. 16MB rather than 512MB for the system table etc.

I'll try doubling all the semaphore and shared memory settings in /etc/system and check it again. I think Oracle8 was meant for Solaris7 or 8, maybe there are different commands to be used for the /etc/system settings. I did not get any error messages in dmesg though. Received on Tue Oct 07 2003 - 10:08:24 CDT