Re: Outsourcing developer to India and China - As an Oracle developer I am miffed

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_no_spam.comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 14:30:48 GMT

"Anurag Varma" <avdbi_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Mwrgb.2096$P56.2011_at_news02.roc.ny...

> "Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_no_spam.comcast.net> wrote in
message news:vhogb.692036$YN5.554811_at_sccrnsc01...
> --snip--
> > Dev,
> > I believe Noons is correct. It is very common for countries and
industries
> > to "protect" themselves from competition. India is no exception. I
just
> > think you are naive enough to not be aware of the protectionism. I have
> > seen in the US head hunting firms blatantly advertise that they only
wanted
> > Indian workers (for US jobs) because they will work for less. In the US
> > advertising for a position that is based upon country of origin which is
NOT
> > relevant to the job, is against US law. It is perfectly legal to
advertise
> > for an IT position where the duties are such and such and the salary
range
> > is x to y. (and x to y can be below the going average) Furthermore, it
is
> > perfectly legal (in the US) if only Indians apply for that job and they
hire
> > someone who's country of origin is India. It is not legal to
discriminate
> > and only hire Indians, if the duties are not relevant to country of
origin.
> > (eg writing computer code, system analysis, dba duties for a dba) I
don't
> > have a problem with hiring Indians; I do have a problem hiring people of
> > country of origin because the country of origin is a specific country of
> > origin and that fact is NOT relevant to the duties of the job. That is
> > discrimination pure and simple. (which has nothing to do with
outsourcing)

> > My point is that there are a lot of discriminatory practices by Indian
and
> > non-India people. (I know people can be found in the US of European
decent
> > that pull the same crap.) It is very naive to think India doesn't have
> > trade and protectionist barriers against other countries. People have a
> > right to bitch about them.
> >
> > Jim
> >

> Right... and my dog can speak french.
> Can you show one example of such a posting where it is advertised that
only Indians
> can apply to a job in US?
>
> Anurag

Anurag,
Yup, I ran across it when I was out of work awhile ago. As a matter of fact the job was posted on the Oracle marketplace newsgroup and had a url and the url had the posting also. A lot of people commented on it. No, I am not going to waste my time finding it for you now. Jim Received on Tue Oct 07 2003 - 09:30:48 CDT