Re: OEM licensing question

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 23:12:28 GMT

Iggy Fernandez wrote:

> I understand that the base OEM product is included with the database
> license but that "Diagnostics Pack" and "Tuning Pack" are licensed
> separately on a per-CPU basis. Does one buy licenses for the Windows
> machine on which OEM is installed or for all the database servers that
> will be monitored by OEM?

As described at http://oraclestore.oracle.com - OEM Pack licenses must match the licenses of the databases being monitored.

The logic seems to be quite simple: if there is a business benefit, Oracle wants to 'share' in that benefit. In this case, the benefit can actually be measured by looking at the users whose application is running faster (we hope). If the users can complete their order entry or warehouse query faster, there is a real cost savings to the organization. And it is from that cost savings that the price of the OEM Pack should be extracted

> The Windows machine in this case has only one CPU. There are about a
> hundred Unix database servers with a total CPU count of roughly 350.
> Would we need to buy licenses for the single Windows CPU or for all
> the 350 Unix CPUs?

Contrary to popular belief, the DBA who does the tuning is NOT the one benefitting from the Pack. [S]He would need to do the tuning anyway!

For further discussion, confirmation, and the ONLY legally binding source for a truly legitimate response, contact your friendly neighborhood Oracle Spider - er Sales person.

Opinion: However, by FIRST having an idea of the cost benefit of OEM packs (as described above), you have some ability to negotiate. (Ooops - almost said "leverage" <g>). Whatever you do, DON'T walk in without that information - you CAN drive this to an acceptable price. AFAIC, they have never understoof the price/value equation of the packs!

--
/Hans
[mailto:`echo $from" | sed "s/yahoo/telusplanet/g"`]