Oracle on Slackware

From: bgeer <bgeer_at_xmission.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 16:52:40 +0000 (UTC)

I am a DBA student. For a class project, I installed Oracle Enterprise 9.2.0.1.0 on a Slackware box to use for classwork. Another student installed Oracle on RedHat 8. Otherwise, our classwork is done on the school's WinNT machines.

My hardware is a Shuttle XPC SN41G2 toaster-sized box, in which I installed a used Athlon XP 1900, 512MB 266FSB ram, 80gig Seagate UDMA100 IDE drive, cdrom/dvdrom, & a zip disk. The SN41G2's m'board has onboard Nvidia geforce4 MX graphics & nforce2 network, audio, usb2, & fireware. I added a happy hacker keyboard which fits into the SN41G2's carry bag, & an old Logitech Mouseman 3button mouse. One sweet system...:-)

I installed Slackware 9.0, OpenOffice 1.1, & JRE from blackdown. Hardware cost was under $500, tho I already had cdrom, zip, keyboard, & mouse recovered from surplus systems. Upside: a very portable system for 1/3 or less of an Oracle-capable laptop; downside I have to beg/borrow a monitor to use with it.

Installing Oracle on Slackware was quick & painless, as easy as RedHat. Being a long time Unix & Slackware user helped. I created my own custom scripts for Oracle startup & shutdown, as I don't always want Oracle to start at boot.

Our class will develop a white paper for Oracle on Linux for newbie's. I'll post it's URL when it's online.

Cheers, Bob

--

<> Robert Geer & Donna Tomky | |||| We sure |||| <>
<> bgeer_at_xmission.com | == == find it == == <>