Re: 10g ... Parallel Server rehash hype???

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 21:20:56 GMT

"Domenic G." wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So what is the true meat and potatoes of 10g GRID? -- is it a new
> version of RAC that doesn't require hardware clusters? How can that
> possibly work? I'm beginning to think this stuff is just empty hype.
> Maybe the "g" should be for "Good Grief, Charlie Brown".
>
> Domenic.

From what I've read: Grid is an evolution of RAC and RAC is an evolution of Parallel Server. Your implication that RAC is equivalent to Parallel Server is roughly on the same level as saying that a modern Ferrari is equivalent to a Model T. Each is a very, very significant evolution of the older version and justifiably different enough to get it's own name. (And, let's face it, every marketing department wants a "raison d'etre" - Oracle's is to name product! ;-P )

The significant enhancements to Grid over RAC seem to include:

  1. Third party Cluster does not seem to be necessary;
  2. You have the ability to dynamically add/remove instances from a 'gridded database' (similar to adding a CPU in SMP hardware);
  3. The access to the database is no longer via shared disk, but by SAN;
  4. Instance to SAN coordination is done by the cooperative instances rather than by the SAN;
  5. Oracle seems to have resurrected & improved their old (real old) disk management software, hopefully eliminating the fear of RAW devices.

(Note that I do NOT have a beta copy, nor do I have access to the 10g documentation, nor am I an employee - I derive this from the same public info you have and therefore could be totally wrong!)

--
/Hans
[mailto:`echo $from" | sed "s/yahoo/telusplanet/g"`]