10g ... Parallel Server rehash hype???

From: Domenic G. <domenicg_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 5 Oct 2003 12:02:16 -0700

Hi,

I've been reading about 10g -- all this grid "hype" sounds like Parallel Server (excuse me, RAC) rehashed with some BS tossed in to boot.

According to the grid concept, Oracle is supposed to be able to connect maybe 10s to 100s?? of low-cost boxes together to form a "grid" -- hmmm, does Parallel, I mean RAC go that high? Don't think so, and I don't think that would be low cost!

In Parallel Server, I mean RAC, you're connected to one instance -- does this mean that in 10g, a saturated parallel server instance automatically redirects the request to another parallel server instance in the cluster to harness "the power of the grid"? I didn't know RAC could do this, maybe in 10g -- I know that when the instance you're connected to goes down, if your TNS is set up right, you flip over to the other instance and SELECTs will fail-over while write transactions must be resubmitted. Concept also works with MM replication except no transaction failover, only connections flip over.

So what is the true meat and potatoes of 10g GRID? -- is it a new version of RAC that doesn't require hardware clusters? How can that possibly work? I'm beginning to think this stuff is just empty hype. Maybe the "g" should be for "Good Grief, Charlie Brown".

Domenic. Received on Sun Oct 05 2003 - 14:02:16 CDT