Re: Outsourcing developer to India and China - As an Oracle developer I am miffed

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 06:25:04 +1000

John Rutherford wrote:

> Apologies if this is a bit off topic - But I have just come back off an
> oracle course - 2 people of which are being made redundent due to
> outsourcing.
>
> Are we having our life opportunities terminated and rolled out at a
> cheaper cost in these countries. I thought Globalisation was supposed to
> bring competition - Instead our IT manager are giving away our livlyhoods
> for nothing. So what if cheaper - Is it ethical????? Is it fair on your
> children or the society your ancestors dreamed of building. If these
> people want oracle jobs than they should get of their butts and come to
> 1st world countries. We should not give it to them on a plate just to save
> a few scents -

Well, let's face it. If you can't tell the difference between hard cash and body odour, you don't stand a chance in the job market of Timbuktu, let alone in 'the first world'.

>Cause lets face it - once these economies try to get off
> their knees we will bomb them back into the stone age - But for you my
> oracle friends -that will be too late!! 2 things we can do Boycott
> organisations who outsource Be ethical as a customer and use vendors who
> do not outsource ie Pick who you bank with and by food from carefully- you
> get the idea

Lack of punctuation doesn't rate very well, either.

Have you possibly considered that the reason these people get made redundant is that they're just not very good at what they do? The quality of their spelling and punctuation is poor? The esteem in which they hold their customers is low? That they'd rather take time off because of a mild headache than do some honest work?

It's called complacency, and it's very much a 1st world disease. Instead of bleating about it, and proposing boycotts of dubious morality or practicality, why not just get off your bottom and learn a foreign language or two, improve your Oracle skills, master new technology, and generally make yourself indispensible. The only way to compete, is to compete.

HJR Received on Sat Oct 04 2003 - 15:25:04 CDT