Recovery of DB -> online redo log ?

From: Rob <donaldduck_at_ducktown.usa>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 12:45:38 +0200

Hi there,

I have a question about recovery.
I have a 8.1.7.4 DB running on Windows NT (i know, it's the boss who like's it).
I have 3 redolog group with 2 files each. Both files are local. These are archived to the local server.
A job checks for new files and copies one to a remote server. From there on tape.

So in case of a crash / data loss, etc i have copies of all my archived redolog files on tape.
Now for the ONLINE redolog files at the moment of crash ?? Lets say i logswitch every 30 minutes.
In a bad example we loose 29 minutes of work. Because it isn't archived yet and lost in the crash.

Can i do something about this ?
In unix / linux i imagine you mount some drive and set a second archive dir in the pfile.
Under windows you cannot mount "MAP" a remote drive without being logged on. Could i create a third redolog file with filename '\\\remoteserver\sharename\redo_1_c.log' ??

When i ask oracle about this they simply say "Install RAC". We cannot afford it (yet).

If you have any other suggestions, please post !!

Thanks in advance,

Robert Received on Sat Oct 04 2003 - 05:45:38 CDT