Re: OT: Interesting DB article

From: Burt Peltier <burttemp1ReMoVeThIs_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 02:26:07 -0500

Different experiences...

I have heard this comment before about price. Is Oracle really that more expensive than sqlserver? We bought a 5 user license of sqlserver and it was about the same as what Oracle would have been.

The main reason for the sqlserver small setup was for when/if any vendor off-the-shelf app came along and had to have sqlserver. Also, we wanted to evalute it. We are mainly an Oracle shop (thankfully).

Funny how after 3 years, we have not had a need for the sqlserver database.

And, in at least 2 or 3 cases, IT software vendors we deal with were changing their products to work with Oracle. They were not doing it just for us, but because they saw market value in the change (where Oracle is by far the market leader).

Has anyone see the same from vendors, but for sqlserver (Oracle apps changing to work with sqlserver)? Just curious.

Also, I can see where small shops might want to get away with small costs and put MySql/Apache out on the Internet. But, putting sqlserver/IIS on the Internet sounds risky considering the many viruses you hear about that go after these type setups.