Database Design Pattern Question (help!)

From: Scott Good <cnavin_Bloomberg_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 3 Oct 2003 13:31:35 -0700

So this is my problem. I originally designed the following table: (The real table is significantly longer. I shortened the table for this discussion)

TABLE

TableId
Ticker
Quantity
Currency
Price
MarketValue
Exchange
MarketCapitalization
Beta

example data:

TABLE

TableId			1
Ticker			IBM
Quantity		100
Currency		USD
Price			84
MarketValue		8400
Exchange		NYS
MarketCapitalization	157809800000
Beta			1.19

It works fine except my boss keeps asking me to add more and more columns to the table such as PresentValue, ValueAtRisk... When he wants another column I go in and add another column to TABLE. These requests will go on indefinitely, (ie. I will be adding more and more columns until I leave the company) So my thought is to change the structure to the following:

TABLE

TableId
Ticker
quantity
Currency
Price
MarketValue

TABLE_DETAIL

TableDetailId
*TableId <---------------- Foreign Key
Key	 <---------------- Indexed
Value	 <---------------- Will be a Varchar(100)

example data:

TABLE

TableId			1
Ticker			IBM
Quantity		100
Currency		USD
Price			84
MarketValue		8400

TABLE_DETAIL

TableDetailId		1		2			3
*TableId		1		1			1
Key			Exchange	MarketCapitalization	Beta
Value			NYS		157809800000		1.19

This way I can add as many properties as I want to TABLE_DETAIL.

Is this a standard design pattern? Is my performance going to kill me when I try to do queries. (I will probably have approximatly 2 million rows in TABLE and about 100 million rows in TABLE_DETAIL. What am I missing?

If someone has any urls or docs that is somewhat related to this problem please let me know. Received on Fri Oct 03 2003 - 15:31:35 CDT